Sunday, December 6, 2009

Blog renewed; change in format!

Originally intended to be soley dedicated to foraging, I've decided to expand my horizons and simply turn this blog into a sort of journal. Although much of it will be centered on foraging, preserving and medicinal herbs, I decided that all of my hobbies tend to follow the same theme and are worthy of inclusion. What I consider my hobbies is really a different way of approaching the age-old issues of living: shelter, food, transportation & health. I strive to recapture some of the lost arts of our forebearers but I also look for the pure experience that comes with living independantly from modern convienence and conventions. For example, I ride my bicycle to work and I garbage-pick with glee. I tend to live by the seasons, as did all people who's lives were directed and colored by the harvest, and my spirituality reflects this basic human connection to the natural world. The whole of our lives are not dissimilar from the joy and loss we experience each year as the seasons change, and the hope for renewal is ever at the doorstep of spring. From death and birth, from flower to fruit to seed, all is connected to this great spinning wheel of creation.

Above all, I am a real person who grew up in the computer age, taking all of this stuff for granted. I drank kool-aide, owned a firebird, became a computer geek, smoked cigarettes, didn't give a hoot about the environment. I was a normal young consumer until about 6 years ago when something in me drastically changed. Or perhaps it changed back, as I feel simultaniously more childlike and mature than before. I am a student of this new life, and I am learning as I go through trial and error. I have already experienced much, but as I go along, questioning the "norm", I make mistakes, I have doubts, I get stuck. I'm hoping to find inspiration from others who also question, and perhaps, somewhere, somehow, give a little hope to people looking to be free from the confines of 'convienence' and to recapture the experience of living honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment