Sunday, December 6, 2009

Biking to work: 3 Months Later

After six weeks of biking, I had settled into the routine. I was in bed by 10 each night and woke by 6. My clothes had been carefully rolled and packed the night before. My shoes and make-up left at work along with a travel steamer in case of wrinkles. Having showered the night before, I would brush my teeth, drink some tea, and check the temperature from my trusty weather station (Thanks Mom & Paul!) I had a decently good idea of what layers I would need based on the temperature. The key is always to stay warm enough while minimizing sweat. Also, avoiding cotton, especially close the skin was paramount. Cotton gets wet and gets very cold, wicking warmth away from the body. Having little money at the time, I could not go out and buy bike specific clothes. I looked in my closet and pulled out the very expensive merino wool and cashmire sweaters given to me by someone at work. These natural materials are extremely warm, and unlike cotton, they stay warm even while wet. Although they were not intented for this purpose, they immediately became a part of my winter arsenal for mid-weight layers. From what I had read, the best combination of layering goes like this: Wicking synthetic material near the skin, insulating mid-layer, and windproof or waterproof outer layer. I had plenty of summer-time technical fabric shirts that I wore running or cycling, and I used the fancy cashmire and wool sweaters as my mid-layer when needed. I had a good fall windbreaker and later, I would get a nicer waterproof jacket for my birthday which functioned as my wintertime outer layer. For the bottom half, I had some nylon pants and on the really cold days, I wore some fleece pajama bottoms which worked like a charm. I used $7 aqua shoes while it was still warm, then moved on to trail running shoes, and below freezing, snow boots. On my hands, I had a pair of nice leather driving gloves I had recieved for christmas last year, and they worked much better than I expected for warmth. I had another pair of oversized winter gloves but only needed to wear them over the leather gloves as the temperature approached the freezing mark. On my head was the same woolen cap with earflaps that I bought last year, and it fit well under my helmet. I had a neck gaitor for face and neck protection. Most of the time, I found that I overdressed. I needed surprisingly few layers for the ride as I built up a lot of heat moving my body through space. I was an efficient heat-generating machine! I focused more on keeping my face, hands and feet warm and worried little about the rest. There has, to this date, never been a single "cold" day, although as of December 5th, I have left in the morning with below freezing temperatures. I have also ridden through two nor'easters. I haven't perfected the rain yet, but mostly because I don't have waterproof pants or gloves. I'm working on it.

I was a little nervous after halloween when the time changed. I had been accustomed to riding to work in the AM in the dark because there was little traffic on the road at that early time. Riding in rush-hour traffic in the dark was a different story. I admit, it was a little daunting at first, but my skills as a cyclist have really improved over the 53 days of my bicycle commuting adventure. I have a better reflective vest given to me by the transportation department of the public school where I work, and decent lights make me extremely visible. I am more adept at predicting the actions of drivers. I made a few route modifications for safely reasons, and so far, my commutes are rather predictible. So far, I have lost 12 pounds even though I eat whatever and whenever I want. I am in much better shape, and although my hilly commute is always a workout, I have the time and energy to take in my surroundings and appreciate my ride. I have also seen very interesting things and had a few adventures which I will share in subsequent posts.

After three months, I am still new to this but I no longer have the fear of limitation. I've discovered that I can get around just as well without a car, although it takes planning and admittedly, twice as long. Regardless, I will trade some time for the physical and mental health benefits I get by cycling two hours a day. I make all of my important decisions while riding. I sing outloud and talk to myself, sorting through my problems. While I am surrounded by people closed up in their vehicles, I feel completely alone on the bicycle, seeing life at 14 mph while everyone rushes by me just to get home and sit in front of the TV. Sometimes, I do get lonely or tired and the doubts creep in. I am constantly lectured. By my family, by my coworkers, even by total strangers. Everyone seems to have an opinion about my choosing to ride a bike. I believe that some people even whisper that perhaps I lost my license. Most seem to think I have simply lost my mind.

They, like I did last year, see bicycling to work as a serious last resort option for transportation. This is something you do if you are an illegal alien or you are drunk, period. The few cyclists I know strap their bike to their SUV's and drive to a place to cycle recreationally, but look at me stupified when I suggest that a bicycle can be used for transportation. Sure, I have my bad days where the saddle hurts or my muscles ache or I had a nasty encounter with a motorist, but I always think to myself - what could be better than getting the chance to ride your bike every day, feeling the freedom and the wind in your hair. It's like being a kid again on the good days.. and I have been released from the dread of automobile ownership. The cost, the worry, the dependent feeling. I'm free from the guilt of being a polluter. Traffic and road rage is a thing of the past. So is gasoline costs, and maintenance, and fees, and insurance costs, and the fear of being pulled over, and inspection woes, and...

Geez, all I gotta do is get on my bike and ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment