Sunday, December 6, 2009

Biking to work: Common questions, statements, arguments, and misconceptions

As I've stated in a previous post, everyone from family, friends, co-workers to total strangers seems to have an opinion on my choice to be a transportation cyclist. Some secretly think that I have lost my license and avoid the subject. Others do not hesitate to lecture me on the merits of something that they have never done and have no experience with. Nevertheless, I understand. I had the same perception of bicycling before I chose to make it my daily form of transportation. I thought it was dangerous, cold, difficult, boring, and in short - impossible to get anywhere respectibly in the suburban sprawl we are surrounded by in New Jersey.


Let me respond to the arguments that I hear most often:

"It's dangerous!"

Traffic accidents are *the* leading cause of death for people ages 4-34 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_causes_of_death_by_rate). Instead of rehashing the whole subject, just read Ken Keifer's pages on the subject (http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/health/risks.htm). Incedentally, he was killed on his bicycle by a drunk driver. Before you jump all over me with the "See! See!", remember how many unfortunate drivers and pedestrians are also killed every year by drunk drivers. The issue is not that bicycling is an inherintly dangerous activity, but that cars are 2 ton weapons in the hands of people who drive while talking on the cell phone, eating, reading the newspaper, sleeping, drinking, and goodness knows what else. We've all been guilty of it - I have definitly driven with my knees while searching for the cellphone, but I am wiser now that I have the perspective of being a cyclist around inattentive drivers. I have to pay attention for both of us.

Accidents concerning bicyclists also happen to many people who either are not following the rules of the road, or who are not prepared for riding at night or in low-visibility conditions. I've seen many wrong-way cyclists, in completely dark clothing, with no reflectors or lights, weaving in and out of traffic just begging to be a statistic. Follow the law, practice the principals of vehicular cycling, be visible, drive your bike defensively, and the danger dramatically decreases.

Route selection is equally important. Its amazing how many people automatically assume that I ride on the highway. Even though I would take my car to work on the 6lane highway that connects my home to my job, I would never consider riding my bike on it. The ideal bicycle route is a lightly traveled, well-paved road with few or no hills and a wide shoulder which takes you directly where you need to go. Of course, this is a utopian dream and is rarely the case, but regardless of where you live, there is a more acceptable route than the highway. I happen to cross over 4 major highways on my route, but drive through mostly residential neighborhoods. Routes that would seem slow in a car are ideal routes for bicycles.

The health benefits of cycling also outweight the risks. With cardiovascular illnesses topping the causes of death overall, mostly from poor health resulting from a diet high in saturated fat and a sedentary lifestyle, who can affort to *not* bicycle to work? It forces me to eat right or my transportation times suffer, and I burn the equivalant of running 8 miles a day each and every day.

"Aren't you cold?"

No. Most of the time, I am hot. When you ride a bicycle, you work up a sweat. The key is to layer appropriately so that you are warm enough for the activity you are doing, but cool enough that you sweat minimally. Its always best to start a ride a little cold so you are able to compensate for the rise in your core temperature after the first mile or two. The most important areas to keep warm are your hands, face and feet and thankfully, mittens, balaclavas and boots fit the bill nicely.

"Isn't it dangerous to ride in the dark?"

Only if you are ill-prepared. I have a class 2 ANSI reflective rest, a 1-watt blinking taillight, reflectors on my panniers, bicycle and helmet, and a bright flashing front headlight. I assume that I am more visible at night than in broad daylight, and feel just as safe.


"Do you ride in your work clothes?"

No. I carry my clothing in my panniers (saddle bags) and change when I get to work. My commute is long, so work clothes are not designed for moisture management or comfort on cold or hot rides. Some people who have short commmutes do ride in their work clothes, certain cities see bike commuters in ties and skirts. In the suburbs, it's more difficult due to the distances involved. Some people leave their clothes at work, but I unfortunately would have place to store them.

"Aren't you tired when you get to work/home?"

After I became acclimated to the distance and effort, I feel invigorated when I arrive to work, and stress free by the time I get home. Sure, I have my bad days, but don't we all?

"What about bad weather?"

It's all about gear selection. No one would suggest you drive without headlights and wipers, or walk without an umbrella and raincoat. Bicycling in the rain is the same, there is gear that keeps you warm and dry. Sometimes rain can be a nuisance, but its never a show-stopper.

"Isn't riding in the snow and ice dangerous?"

Yes - it is. I admit, riding on ice is dangerous. However, you can get carbide-studded tires to help with winter cycling. People in snowy places don't stop bicycling for transportation because of snow and ice, they prepare for it. Wide, studded tires make a big difference in that type of terrain. In New Jersey, the road crew is liberal with the salt, so ice is rarely a problem. Snow is infrequent as well, so the majority of days can be ridden with no special equipment. If it's too dangerous to bike or drive, there is always the bus, or to stay home altogether.
Riding over ice takes a special technique just like in a car; you glide over it and don't apply the brakes!

"Doesn't it take a long time?"

Not any longer than it would for me to drive home, get changed, then go to the gym or out for a run. In fact, combining my commute with my exericise saves me an hour a day. I commute an hour each way to and from work. In that hour, I hit no traffic, get fresh air and exercise, get relief from stress, and it costs me nothing. Some of my co-workers drive an hour, pay a fortune to sit in traffic, and arrive home and to work more stressed and exausted from their commute! No wonder they are too tired to exercise!

"Don't you get sweaty and smelly by the time you get to work?"

This is a concern for many people, but not for me. I don't sweat all that much to begin with, and for whatever reason, I don't readily smell after working out. Also, in the summer I shower right before I get on the bike. My wet hair and the wind generated by cycling keep me very cool. The early hour I leave also ensures that I stay cool all the way to work. Once I get there I have a half-hour to cool down. I will wash up in the sink with soap and by the time I get to my desk, you could hardly tell I just biked 12 miles. Deoderant and body spray don't hurt either.

Other people are lucky enough to have showers at work, or a nearby health club that they can shower at.

On the way home, who cares? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment